cyber land or real life?


What has our world come to?

Social media... It seems to be all over the place. Facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, foursquare... All kinds of games... words with friends, draw something... some running from zombee games. Don't get me wrong. I too have been a victim of their phantom. I love finding a project to do on pinterest or reading up on what all my cyber friends are doing. I post a million pictures a day on facebook and hey guess what... I am sitting here right now typing a blog! But guess what...
it's time to stop. (
Not stop blogging of course, because I love to share.) The obsession with facebook and pinterest and all that jazz has to end. I'm not saying I am not going to ever post on facebook again or look for a recipe on pinterest... But it's time to spend time in REAL life.

As I sat on the couch this past weekend I watched my entire family (my husband and father included) sit glued to their iphones, ipads and other "smart" devices. It made me realize that this world is becoming so much less "social" because of "social media." We used to play skip-bo together or sit around and chat about our lives. I love my family and no one is doing any wrong. It's the world that is becoming too "high tech" for my liking. As I sat reflecting I didn't realize I was a bad mother or a bad wife or daughter because I am not. But I did realize I can be better if I spend less time tuned into the cyber world and more time tuned into my life.

I saw a sign once (probably on pinterest) that said something along the lines of "spend time with the company you are with and not those you are not." It was attached to a bowl at a front door where people were to place their cell phones as they entered. I loved this idea.

Since returning home from my relaxing week at the beach, I decided to revise my lifestyle a little bit. I need to spend more time with my family instead of spending time in cyber land with 98% of the people not giving two craps about me and my life to begin with. Another quote I enjoy goes something like this... "Don't tell people your problems. 50% of the people don't care and the other 50% are glad you have them." Yep. I take lots of pictures of Riley and will continue to do so. But the 30 seconds it takes to upload it to facebook will be spent with her instead. It doesn't seem like a lot of time, but to me it is. She is growing up way too fast for me!

I have since taken facebook, pinterest and the babycenter message board off of my iphone. Sure, I can still go to the web and get to them if I am in need or want to. I still plan to post and am in no way boycotting. I will still share pictures and moments and statuses. I just plan to do so less. If you need me, I suggest calling the house phone because I plan to have my phone with me less in order to break myself of these habits.

I hope in reading this you will take some time to reflect on your own usage. It's a horrible black hole that we as a world are slowly falling into. Spend time with your family. Who cares what Sam, Bob or Joe are doing! (Granted I did put the fb app back on my phone today to check up on a friend in labor! -guilty- but it's off again.) Who cares what "super mom" is doing with her kids and pinning on pinterest. Just be a mom and get off that dang phone!


Subscribe to my blog if you want updates from here!

~let go laughing!


Comments

Popular Posts