Yes, I am tired of hearing about it too...


But, it isn't about marriage people. It's about stinkin' rights. Why is that so hard? And no, I'm not surprised- Just annoyed. I don't care if gay people want to get married and to be 100% honest, I don't really know how I even feel about that - the fact of the matter is- gay, straight, black, white, male, female... everyone should have the same benefits, insurance, coverage, etc. Why should the woman Sally Ride was a partner with for 27 years not be allowed her assets? How is she any different from my own mother or father if one of them passed away. Did the bible say they couldn't have legal rights? Does the bible say anything about benefits and coverage? I don't think so. In fact, the bible said not to judge them- and to treat everyone equally? Am I correct? Here we go again... quoting the bible to help to try to make sense of your "marriage equality" ordeal. Well- I have to share something a friend of mine shared yesterday and I couldn't agree with it more.

So, Chick-Fil-A day is almost upon us and I am reminded of phrases I hate. I always thought that the worst phrase of all was “I could care less” until we began to be bombarded with the gem “Traditional Marriage”. The only problem with those who say that there is a traditional Biblical view of marriage is that they seem not to have read much about what the Bible says about marriage:
• In the verse
 most often quoted in support of male-female marriage, we read about Adam and Eve in Genesis 2:24-25 that: "Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked, and were not ashamed." However, as we read on, wives were subordinate to their husbands, interfaith marriages were forbidden, and a bride who could not prove her virginity were stoned to death. (One has to wonder if Chick-fil-A is planning a "Prove Your Virginity Day.")
• Genesis 38 states that if a woman's husband dies and she has borne no children, she has to marry her husbands brother and have kids with him.
• The Bible also talks about men having extra-marital affairs. Abraham had 2 concubines, Gideon and Jacob each had one, and then there's good ole Solomon, with 300 concubines. (I see a "Bring Your Mistress To Chick-fil-A And Receive Free Ice Cream" Day)
• Polygamy was also allowed in the Bible (shout out to the fundamentalist Mormons). Lamech and Jacob had two wives each, David and Gideon had an indeterminate amount, and here we go again, good ole Solomon had 700 wives.
• In the first of two very disturbing facts, under Moses' command, Israelites were to kill every Midianite man, woman and child, except for the virgin girls...who were then forced to marry their captors.
• Finally, according to Deuteronomy 22, a virgin who is raped must marry her rapist.
So please, Mr. Cathy, President of Chick-fil-A, tell me again what the traditional view of marriage is according to the Bible. It seems to me that the Bible talks a lot more about love than it does about your narrow view of marriage.

Equal marriage for all! I am quoting from the website THE LOVING ROOM.





Now, back to what I said- I really don't know how I feel about two men or two women having a "marriage"- but a civil union is not a marriage. It's allowing people to have the same legal rights, pay the same taxes, get the same benefits after death...

I think a lot of people are using this as a "free speech" yadda yadda - blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is that millions of dollars from profit at Chick-Fil-A have been spent to degrade others, to strip them of rights and support judging and telling them because they are different that they don't deserve what everyone else does. Oh, your church told you to do it... really? Read above... why didn't your church tell you to do that? Oh yes... it is 2012 and it is WRONG. Just like this is wrong.

Yes, they have every right to freedom of speech and I am OK with anyone having their own beliefs. I'm actually not one to even boycott because I know that my money somewhere, somehow in a lot of circumstances will likely go to things I disagree with. But for this one instance, I just find it hard to spend money somewhere that is boldly spending their profits to discriminate. At least for right now. I'm not standing her and saying "I'll never eat Chick-Fil-A again" - but, I'm also not standing in line to "support" them. If I can spend my money elsewhere, I will.

And yes- it IS discrimination. Period. This is NOT an argument about freedom of speech, it is discrimination. Oh, but they said they will serve gay people and treat them the same... Of course they will! They want the money to turn around and spend to DISCRIMINATE.

I'll leave you with a photo of just that... the bibles version of marriage...



It's wrong.  Period.  I'm done now.


~ let go laughing.

Comments

  1. chic-fil-A didn't plan chic-fil-A day, the supporters did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has nothing to do with my post. Nothing at all.

      Delete
  2. I just want to point out that You make a great point. However in the New Testament, Christ abolishes the old law and makes all things new, including marriage. Perhaps looking at a few of the NT examples of marriage will be a good exercise in refining your argument?

    ReplyDelete
  3. my point is this. everyone deserves to be treated equally. period. get over what the bible does or doesnt day. it's interpreted by EVERYONE differently. Yet another reason it should NOT be in politics. I don't even think that was the main point of my post. It was something I read and agreed with and re-posted. I don't care who you live with or love, you should have the same dang rights as everyone else. Anyone who thinks differently is not a nice person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts